The Tier 1 (Investor) visa is closed to new applications. The following apply in relation to extension visas in this category if you successfully applied before the 6th of November 2014 or if you successfully applied on or after 29th of March 2019.
Tier 1 (Investor) Visa Extensions
There are certain requirements to be met when applying for an extension as a Tier 1 Investor. Applicants have to meet the following criteria if you successfully applied before 6 November 2014:
1) You have had at least £2 million invested in UK government bonds, share capital or loan capital in active UK companies since 6 April 2020.
2) You had at least £1 million under your control in the UK before 6 April 2020.
3) You invested £750,000 in UK government bonds, share capital or loan capital in active UK companies within 3 months of your ‘investor start date’
If you successfully applied on or after 6 November 2014 the following apply:
1) You have at least £2 million under your control in the UK
2) You have invested those funds in share capital or loan capital in active UK companies
3) You invested this sum within 3 months of your ‘investor start date’
If you successfully applied before 29 March 2019, you can also apply to extend if you invested your funds in UK government bonds.
Your ‘investor start date’ is either:
The date you came into the UK (if you have proof of this) OR
The date your original visa application or switch from a different visa category was approved (if you cannot prove your date of entry)
Indefinite Leave to Remain Applications
Applicants are required to meet the following criteria:
1) Applicants must not have spent more than 180 days outside of the UK in any 12-month period.
2) Applicants must have passed the Life in the UK Test.
3) Applicants must meet the English Language requirement, which can be done by passing a language test in conformance with B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (This will be updated after Brexit). There are certain set exemptions to meeting the English Language requirement.
Residency Requirements and Time Spent Outside the UK:
1) If applicants do not intend to settle in the UK then no residency requirements are set, and they may extend their visa for 2 years after the initial clearance has expired.
2) Those wishing to apply for permanent residency (ILR) are not permitted to spend more than 180 days outside the UK, in any rolling 12-month period.
3) For UK citizenship, applicants must not have spent more than 450 days outside of the UK in the 5-year period, and no more than 90 days during the 12 months prior to application.